With the constant focus on tests and assessments, it’s sometimes hard for children to have the chance to be imaginative. At The Little Writing Company we’ve come up with 10 easy ways to kickstart your child’s imagination on a rainy weekend!
1. Show them an object they’ve never seen with a story i.e an old phone, an antique, one of your old toys. Then ask them to invent something that might exist in the future. They can design their new invention on a piece of paper with paints or crayons.
2. Give your child 5 random objects and ask them to create a play or script with them.
3. Ask them to draw or describe the best school ever – what would it include? A room made of chocolate? A swimming pool? A farm?
4. Get out the old toys – the ones that haven’t been played with for years. Watch their eyes light up!
5. Get the dressing up box out and give them a title to a piece of drama. Titles could be ‘The Escape’ or ‘My Magic Adventure to School'.
6. Create a board game… then play it.
7. Ask them to act out a trailer or design a poster for their favourite film.
8. Prepare a Britain’s Got Talent or X Factor audition sketch.
9. Give your child a box (or several boxes) plus a marker and ask them to make the boxes into something else i.e a spaceship, a house, an outfit!
10. Write a story – show an interesting picture from the internet and ask your child to write a short story about it.